Something is better than nothing

Are you an all-or-nothing type of person? Or are you more like me: a something-is-better-than-nothing type of person?

I think I first embraced the SIBTN idea a few years ago, when I forewent the idea that every time I went for a run, I had to run at least three miles otherwise the run was useless. I traded the three-miles-or-nothing mentality for a more laid-back approach, in which I accepted that as long as I got outside and ran some distance–even if it was just around the block–this was still better than staying inside on my tokus. The bonus part of this is that probably 99% of the time, I’d go out with the intention of only running for ten minutes but end up feeling so good that I’d continue for at least another thirty. I also feel less anxious about getting out the door in the first place, because I don’t have to worry about feeling like a failure if I don’t hit my specific goal.

It’s about time I take my own advice into the world of writing. I’m sure you’ve noticed by now that I didn’t write a blog post for last month (you did notice, right?). While I try to write at least one post per month, time often gets away from me and I find that the longer I wait, the more pressured I feel, and the more worried I become that my thoughts will not be worthy of a full blog post. So today I am going to accept that something is still something. I’d like to get back into writing more consistently, and I think by removing the pressure of feeling like I need to write something good, or like I need to follow through with a specific theme, I can relax and just write.

Where else can I take this approach in life?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Very Belated: Books Read in 2022

Stop - Start - Continue: 2023

A bout of inspiration