A Very Belated: Books Read in 2022

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
    Comments: Suspenseful!

Galápagos by Kurt Vonnegut
    Comments: Not my favorite of Vonnegut's but it was fun.

Selected Stories of Franz Kafka by Franz Kafka, Willa Muir (Translator), Edwin Muir (Translator), Philip Rahv (Introduction)
    Comments: Damn! The Metamorphosis is way scarier and sadder and way less funny than I had remembered (first reading was in high school), and Kafka's other stories are also mostly scary and sad.

A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer
    Comments: Relentless.

The King in Yellow and Other Horror Stories by Robert W. Chambers, E.F. Bleiler (Selected by)
    Comments: Some really great stories, some boring ones.

The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury
    Comments: Breathtaking!

The Road by Cormac McCarthy
    Comments: I never wanted to put this down which is rare for me.

Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut
    Comments: A very different Vonnegut experience.

The Penguin Book of Italian Short Stories by Jhumpa Lahiri (Editor)
    Comments: Had a lot of difficulty with this one.

As Nature Made Him: The Boy Who Was Raised as a Girl by John Colapinto
    Comments: Couldn't stop talking about this one.

The Circular Staircase by Mary Roberts Rinehart
    Comments: A fun bedtime mystery.

Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger
    Comments: Second reading of possibly my favorite book of all time.

Comments

  1. Briana; Tried to put a comment on your post re the books you read in 2022 but was unsuccessful; apparently either my PC or Google or Blogspot/Blogger is haunted today. In any case, I loved "The Curious Incident..." Thought Haddon did an amazing job with the voice and that scene when the protagonist takes the NYC subway and the over-stimulation is wreaking havoc on his autism is etched into my head; brilliant writing; I suspect the author has a close family member who is autistic. And I found it intriguing that you & I both re-read "Franny & Zooey" last year. I wasn't as enamored of it this second time as when I first read it in my early 20s but that could have been my mood. I was still moved but it didn't have quite the wallop for me as in round one. Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I remember you mentioning Franny & Zooey! I had a similar situation with Catcher in the Rye; I loved it as a teenager, but found it kind of painful when I re-read it in my 20s and again maybe a year ago. I still love the book but did not connect with Holden at all the way I did when I first read it. It's interesting how that can happen!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stop - Start - Continue: 2023

A bout of inspiration